During excursions to various settings, such as the famed "Ice Wall" and those breathtaking places where the "North of the Wall" scenes were filmed, travellers will be captivated by tales of the "Seven Kingdoms" by local guide Jon Thor Benediktsson, who was a guide for the Game of Thrones crew during the filming of the third season. That trip was the second time the Game of Thrones crew had filmed in Iceland, so they knew what to expect.
The crew returned to Iceland in mid January 2017, as parts of season 7 will be filmed there.
Game Of Thrones has brought great magic and adventure to Iceland since it was first released in 2011, whether it be dragons destroying goats, or Iceland's own Hafpor Julius Bjornsson playing "The Mountain".
- Tour Guides
Early check-in and late checkout on request, and subject to availability.
Specific bedding and/or special requests are fulfilled based on availability and cannot always be guaranteed.
4 NIGHTS/5 DAYS: GAME OF THRONES ESCORTED TOURS PACKAGE 2017-2018 5 Days/4 Nights
Booking Dates: 09/05/2017 - 04/30/2018 Travel Dates: 10/01/2017 - 04/30/2018
• Day 1: Arrival in Reykjavik Upon landing in Iceland, there is only the mysterious lava plain of the Reykjanes Peninsula standing between you and the buzz from the energetic capital city Reykjavik. The ride across the barren lava takes little less than an hour and is thankfully devoid of any demons, making the start of your journey as safe as possible (airport transfer included).
• The first settler of Iceland built his farm on the peninsula where Reykjavik stands today and the city derives its name after the columns of steam that rose from the hot springs in the area (Reykjavik means smoky bay).
• Only a few minutes drive away from your modern Reykjavik hotel, the city centre awaits with abundance of restaurants, cafs, clubs, and cultural events. A Northern Lights hunt by bus, or jeep awaits you in the evening.
• Overnight in Reykjavik.
• Day 2: Getting Closer After a hearty breakfast your journey takes you to the Reykjavik domestic airport where you'll board a 60-minute flight to the beautiful town of Akureyri. Transfer and domestic flight included.
• Often referred to as the "Capital of the North", Akureyri is by far the largest town in the north of Iceland and is the second largest urban area in Iceland with a population of a little less than 20,000.
• Located only 60 kilometers from the Arctic Circle, the mountains in the area are often capped with snow year round, and in the winter they offer some of the best skiing in the country.
• For the next two nights you'll be staying in Akureyri.
• Day 3: Enter Free Folk's Territory Today you will be entering the otherworldly landscapes of Lake Myvatn where the scenes for "North of the Wall" were filmed.
• As the majestic Waterfall of the Gods, Godafoss, greets you, it quickly becomes apparent why the Game of Thrones production crew were drawn to this area. According to the Icelandic Sagas, the waterfall draws its name from Thorgeir of Ljosavatn throwing his statues of the heathen gods into the falls when Iceland converted to Christianity in the year 1000.
• Your next stop will be the magical places where several scenes for Game of Thrones were filmed. Here you can try to relive the action in the locations seen in the series.
• Hopefully you won't encounter any White Walkers, but Iceland's rich folklore lets the storytelling guide boost your imagination with tales of trolls and Hidden People alongside curious facts from behind the scenes of Games of Thrones.
• After a day of beautiful waterfalls, volcanoes, unusual lava rock formations, steaming hot springs, bubbling mud pools and mysterious landscapes, you'll end the day with a splash at the Myvatn Nature Baths. While not a filming location for Game of Thrones, the calming waters will still relax you while you imagine being surrounded by other Free Folk.
• Day 4: Return to Reykjavik Morning flight to Reykjavik and return to your Reykjavik hotel. Transfers and domestic flight included.
• In the afternoon, take the Golden Circle tour and visit Thingvellir, filming location for Game of Thrones season four, along with Gullfoss waterfall and Geysir.
• Overnight in Reykjavik.
• Day 5: Departure If your flight is in the afternoon you can spend the day at your leisure. Airport transfer included.
Package Minimum Stay: 4 Nights
• Travel to North Iceland to experience the astonishing film locations showcased in Game of Thrones.
• Visit the areas where the Night's Watch men, including Samwell Tarly and Lord Commander Mormont, are attacked by the White Walkers.
• Walk the land that Jon Snow, Ygritte, and the Free Folk cross to reach the Wall.
• Visit the cave where Jon Snow and Ygritte have their first intimate romantic encounter.
• Learn about how the Free Folk, like the ancient Vikings, lived and survived in their harsh environment.
• Northern lights are dependent on weather conditions. Sightings cannot be guaranteed.
• Daily departures, no domestic flights on Dec 25, Jan 1 and Easter Sunday
• Transfers in Reykyavik and Akureyri -2 nights at a hotel in Reykjavik with private facilities, including breakfast (except arrival day) -2 nights at a hotel in Akureyri with private facilities, including breakfast
• Round-trip flight Reykjavk-Akureyri (including airport tax)
• Northern Lights Hunt, Super Jeep Tour
• Guided tour of Game of Thrones locations in North Iceland
• Entry fee to Myvatn Nature Baths
• Golden Circle Afternoon Tour
• Transfer to/from domestic airport in Reykjavik.
• Transfer to/from domestic airport in Akureyri.
• Accommodation List:
• Icelandair Hotel Akureyri
They reserve the rights to change the hotels, without prior notice should the necessity arise, the alternative hotel will then be of the same standard.
Package inclusions are subject to change.