With so much to discover and explore in Iceland, this classic, best-selling tour highlights the natural wonders, majestic landscapes and the unique character of Iceland. Features of this popular tour include stops at the Glacier Lagoon, Lake Mvatn and all the famous sights of the Golden Circle such as Gullfoss, Geysir and Thingvellir National Park.
This is a classic circle tour that provides the perfect mix of culture and nature. This tour has been our best seller for nearly 20 years.
Get the most out of your holiday in Iceland!
- Tour Guides
Early check-in and late checkout on request, and subject to availability.
Specific bedding and/or special requests are fulfilled based on availability and cannot always be guaranteed.
ICELAND COMPLETE WINTER ESCORTED TOURS PACKAGE 2017-2018 9 Days/8 Nights
Booking Dates: 07/25/2017 - 04/30/2018 Travel Dates: 04/11/2017 - 04/19/2018 10/04/2017 - 10/12/2017 10/18/2017 - 10/26/2017 02/14/2018 - 02/22/2018 03/21/2018 - 03/29/2018 03/28/2018 - 04/05/2018
• Day 1: Arrival Transfer to Reykjavik on own. If your flight lands early in the day, a great suggestion is to explore Reykjavk, the largest municipality in Iceland.
• Ingolfur Arnarson, the first settler of Iceland, built his farm on the peninsula where Reykjavk stands today. The town got its name "Smoky Bay" after the columns of steam that rose from the hot springs in the area and made such a deep impression on the first settlers.
• Dinner is on your own. Reykjavik offers a multitude of restaurants and/or coffee-houses, making dinner a great way to get better acquainted with Iceland's capital.
• Please note guaranteed early check-in is not included in the price. Most hotels begin check-in around 14:00 (2:00pm).
• Overnight stay in Reykjavk (airport transfer not included).
• Dinner on own.
• Day 2: Geysir - Gullfoss - Skogar - Dyrholaey - Vik Exploding Geysers - Waterfalls - Black Sand Beaches of the South Shore Breakfast at your hotel. Start the day with a short city sightseeing of Reykjavik. From Reykjavik head through the greenhouse village of Hveragerdi. Head on to the Golden Circle natural wonders. Explore Gullfoss, the "Golden Waterfall", and the nearby Geysir hot spring area to see the famous Geysir and Strokkur, as well as numerous other hot springs and boiling mud pools. Continue along the south shore and stop to admire the waterfalls Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss before continuing to Dyrholaey and the black sand beaches of Icelands South Shore. Continue to the village of Vik.
• Dinner and overnight stay in the Vik area.
• -Geysir -Gullfoss -Reynisdrangar Cliffs -Vik
• Day 3: Skaftafell National Park - Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon - Hofn Lava Fields - Glacial Lagoon with Icebergs - Europe's Largest Glacier Breakfast at your hotel. Continue your journey on the Ring Road. Cross Eldhraun, the largest lava flow recorded on the planet in historical times. Visit Kirkjubaejarklaustur town, the former site of a 12th-century Catholic convent. The tour continues over Skeidararsandur sands to Skaftafell, a beautiful glacial area within Vatnajokull National Park. Continue to the stunning Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon to see the birthplace of icebergs. Throughout the day you will also enjoy magnificent views of the mighty Vatnajokull Glacier.
• Dinner and overnight stay in the Hofn area.
• -Skaftafell National Park -Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon -Hofn
• Day 4: Hofn - East Fjords - Egilsstadir Narrow Fjords - Steep Mountains - Picturesque Coastline - Mineral Collection Breakfast at your hotel. Drive from Hofn through Almannaskard pass, stopping to admire the majestic coastline. Continue to the towering mountains plunging vertically into the sea that form the magnificent East Fjords. Explore Petra's renowned collection of local stones and minerals.
• Dinner and overnight stay in the Egilsstadir area.
• Day 5: Lake Myvatn Area Highland Desert Bizarre Lava Formations Geothermal & Volcanic Activity Rich Birdlife Protected Salmon River Breakfast at your hotel. Explore the empty vastness of the highland desert plateau Modrudalsoraefi as you head towards the Lake Myvatn area. On the way, stop at Dettifoss, Europe's most powerful waterfall. Continue onwards to Namaskard pass with its boiling mud pools and vibrant colours. Explore the natural beauty of the Lake Myvatn area, including the pseudo craters at Skutustadir and the Laxa Salmon River. Other volcanic features of Myvatn include the multi-coloured geothermal area of Namaskard, Krafla volcano and the dark lave citadels of Dimmuborgir.
• Dinner and overnight stay in the Myvatn area.
• -Hverfjall -Myvatn -Dimmuborgir
• Day 6: Lake Myvatn Area - Akureyri - Siglufjordur "Waterfall of the Gods" - Folk Museum - The Beautiful Troll Peninsula Breakfast at your hotel. Start the day by exploring the peculiar lava formations at Dimmuborgir. Visit the magnificent Godafoss waterfall and the old turf farm Laufas.
• Afterwards, visit Akureyri, the colourful northern "capital" of Iceland. The town has charming buildings and beautiful view of the Eyjafjordur Fjord. After spending some time in Akureyri, continue along the coastal roads of Eyjafjordur and the Troll Peninsula. This is a beautiful drive along steep mountains with amazing views over the Arctic Sea and black sand coastline. The destination is Siglufjordur, set in a beautiful fjord of the same name. This town has some of the finest timber buildings in the country, beautifully restored to their original glory. The evening and dinner is on your own at one of the towns restaurants. Siglufjordur is a very enjoyable and friendly town for an evening stroll.
• Dinner and overnight in Siglufjordur.
• -Godafoss -Akureyri -Trollaskagi - Troll Peninsula -Siglufjordur
• Day 7: Skagafjordur - Borgarnes Fertile Farmlands Glacial Rivers Unique Viking Horse Demonstration Breakfast at your hotel. This morning visit Siglufjordurs award-winning Herring-Era Museum. The museum recreates the atmosphere of the early 20th century, when Siglufjordur was transformed into a herring boom town, thanks to a large migration of herring. Afterwards, head along majestic mountains and narrow passes to Skagafjordur, considered to be one of the finest places in Iceland for horse breeding.
• Enjoy an introduction to the unique Icelandic horse breed with its special fifth gait - the tolt. Continue towards the village of Blonduos built on both sides of the river Blanda.
• Hrutey Island, a protected nature reserve, sits within the centre of this popular Salmon River. Cross the Holtavorduheidi plateau through Borgarfjordur to the beautiful town of Borgarnes.
• Dinner and overnight stay in Borgarnes area.
• -Skagafjordur Fjord -Borgarnes
• Day 8: Borgarfjordur - Thingvellir - Reykjavik Europe's Largest Hot Spring - Picturesque Waterfalls - National Park with Geological Wonders (UNESCO) Breakfast at your hotel. Drive to Deildartunguhver, the most powerful hot spring in Europe. Stop to admire the beautiful Hraunfossar waterfalls before continuing via Hvalfjordur fjord to Lake Thingvallavatn, Iceland's largest lake and Thingvellir National Park. This UNESCO heritage site is where the worlds oldest continuing parliamentary government was founded in the 10th century. It is also the place where the North American and European tectonic plates meet.
• Overnight stay in Reykjavik. Dinner is on your own.
• -Deildartunguhver -Barnafoss -Hraunfossar -Thingvellir National Park -Reykjavik
• Day 9: Departure Breakfast at your hotel. Transfer to the airport not included. We advise departing your hotel no later than three hours before your international flight.
• If you did not visit the Blue Lagoon on your arrival day, you might use the opportunity to stop there now on your way to the airport.
Package Minimum Stay: 8 Nights
• Accommodation List:
• Hotel Vk or similar
• Hotel Hofn or similar
• Hotel Herad or similar
• Sel Hotel Myvatn or similar
• Hotel Siglo
• Htel Hamar or similar
We reserve the rights to change the hotels, without prior notice should the necessity arise, the alternative hotel will then be of the same standard.
• All departures are guaranteed with minimum of 2 participants
• Maximum group size: 36 participants.
• 7 day guided tour as per itinerary from/to Reykjavik
• Accommodation 2 nights w/facilities in Reykjavik
• Accommodation 6 nights w/facilities in countryside
• Breakfast daily except arrival day -6 dinners in the countryside
• Entrance to Petra's Stone collection (day 4)
• Entrance to Laufas Folk Museum incl. refreshments (day 6)
• Horse Show in Skagafjordur (day 7)
• Entrance to the Herring Museum (day 7)
• International airfare
• Round-trip transfers between Keflavik airport and Reykjavik
• Dinners in Reykjavk (day 1 and 8)
• Beverages with meals other than coffee/tea and fresh tap water
• Porterage at airport and hotels
• Guaranteed early check-in or late check-out
• Optional tours and activities
• Any service not specifically listed under "included"
Optional tours and activities:
• Booked via your guide at the start of your tour.
• Day 3 - Super jeep tour on Vatnajokull glacier - 4 hours Day 5 - Myvatn Nature Baths Day 5 - Horse riding in Myvatn - 1-2 hours Day 6 - Northern Lights Boat trip / Sea angling / Whale watching (dependant on season) in North Iceland 3- 3.5 hours Day 8 - Non guided tour to the Blue Lagoon on arrival/ departure
Package inclusions are subject to change.