- Tour Guides
Early check-in and late checkout on request, and subject to availability.
Specific bedding and/or special requests are fulfilled based on availability and cannot always be guaranteed.
ARCTIC POWERS AND NORTHERN LIGHTS ESCORTED TOURS PACKAGE 2017-2018 North Iceland has its own version of Hidden Powers enhanced by its mysterious Arctic location. Enjoy thundering glacial waterfalls, bizarre volcanic landscapes, snow-capped lava formations and the vast canyon beauty of Vatnajokull National Park. Add in traveling the coastline near the Arctic Circle, hot springs bathing in the the Myvatn Nature baths and a northern lights hunt - for a perfect blend of Icelands natural power and serenity.
Booking Dates: 08/04/2017 - 03/24/2018 Travel Dates: 11/25/2017 - 11/29/2017 02/24/2018 - 02/28/2018 03/10/2018 - 03/14/2018
• Day 1: Arrival to Akureyri Arrival in Akureyri airport. On your own, transfer to hotel in Akureyri (cabs available. Iceland Travel can also help book your Akureyri airport/hotel transfers).
• We suggest a visit to the local swimming pool, one of the best in Iceland. The soothing variety of geothermal hot tubs and steam rooms is a perfect way to shake off jet lag.
• Please note that early check-in is guaranteed. Most hotels start check-in around 2:00pm Overnight in Akureyri. No meals included.
• Day 2: Akureyri - Godafoss Waterfall - Husavik - Northern Lights Approximate distance: 120 kilometers/75 miles Godafoss, Waterfall of the Gods - Whale Museum - Evening Northern Lights Boat Trip Breakfast at your hotel. The day begins with a short tour of Akureyri before heading onwards to discover incredible North Iceland. Drive through beautiful alpine scenery en route to Godafoss (the Waterfall of the Gods). Here glacial water thunders around surrounding lava to create a beautiful half- circle shaped cascade. Continue on to the cosy town Husavik on the edge of Arctic. Known as the "whale watching capital of Europe", Husavik is a great base to explore Northeast Iceland's natural wonders. Enjoy an easy-going walk around the village, connecting you to local ambiance. Walk along the colourful harbour and tour the Hsavk Whale Museum focusing on Icelandic whales. A number of real whale skeletons are on display, including the largest mammal on the planet: the Blue Whale.
• Day 2: Akureyri - Godafoss Waterfall - Husavik - Northern Lights (Continued) After dinner embark on a traditional Icelandic oak boat and enjoy the sounds of nature while hunting for Northern Lights without the disturbance from town lights. During the trip, the experienced crew will tell stories about the Northern Lights and provide information about the area's landscape while serving an evening snack of home-made soup and bread. All guests will be provided with warm overalls to make sure everybody stays warm. To make the tour even better, there is a hot tub* on board for adventurous guests to try, so don't forget your swimsuits.
• *Please note that the hot tub will not be available if the weather and sailing conditions are not ideal Overnight stay in Husavik. Dinner is on your own.
• Day 3: Husavik - Tjornes - Asbyrgi Canyon - Raufarhofn Village - Husavik Approximate distance: 270 kilometers/168 miles Fossil-Rich Peninsula - Icelands Largest National Park - Horseshoe-Shaped Canyon - Arctic Henge Breakfast at hotel. Drive around the fossil-rich Tjornes peninsula to the northernmost edge of Vatnajokull National Park. This section of Icelands largest national park is home to Asbyrgi, a canyon created by massive glacial flooding during the last Ice Age. Take some time to explore this remarkable horseshoe-shaped canyon, which Vikings believed to be a hoof-print left by Sleipnir, Odins eight-legged flying horse from Norse mythology. A distinctive feature of the canyon is a rock formation known as Eyja (the Island).
• Continue your trip, passing remote northern villages that skirt the edge of the Arctic Circle. Near remote Raufarhfn village, the colossal Arctic Henge is gradually being constructed. This stone solar calendar is based on the Old Norse religion, Asatru and has many references from the ancient Voluspa.
• Return to Hsavk. The rest of the day open to enjoy Husavik.
• The lively town has interesting museums, and you can enjoy activities such as seasonal whale watching, beach horseback riding and swimming in the geothermal public pool. Hopefully, weather conditions will allow you to view northern lights tonight! Overnight stay in Husavik. Dinner is on your own.
• Day 4: Husavik - Lake Myvatn Nature Reserve - Akureyri Approximate distance: 150 kilometers/93 miles Active Geothermal Area - Volcanic Landscapes - Basalt Citadels - Relaxing Hot Spring Spa Breakfast at your hotel. Ahead is a fully-packed day of wildly-varying landscapes. Travel to the unforgettable Lake Myvatn area, a geological wonderland that includes the peculiar lava formations at Dimmuborgir, the pseudo-craters at Skutustadir and Laxa Salmon River. Some of the most bizarre attractions in the region are the bubbling mud pits and vibrant colours of Hverarond geothermal area. Looming over the area is Krafla, the volcano who created this bizarre wonderland and whose energy provides power and hot water to the region. Amazing landscapes, where peaceful white snow magically accentuates black lava. Top off an amazing Myvatn visit with a relaxing soak in the geothermal Nature Baths before continuing to Akureyri via a scenic road.
• Note: If road and weather conditions permit, the tour will also visit majestic Dettifoss waterfall.
• Overnight stay in the Akureyri area. Dinner is on your own.
• Day 5: Departure Breakfast at hotel. On your own, transfer to Akureyri airport for your flight to Keflavik International Airport or Reykjavik *Please note Domestic flight is NOT included
Package Minimum Stay: 4 Nights
• View the Mid-Atlantic ridge dividing Europe from North America and Europe in North Iceland
• Experience the beauty and might of Godafoss Waterfall
• Hunt for Northern Lights by sea in a beautiful oak boat
• Enjoy the friendly ambience and charm of Husavik town
• Walk among the dark lava citadels of Dimmuborgir
• View primordial bubbling mud pots and steam fields at colorful Namaskard Pass.
• Discover Old Norse Mythology at the new Arctic Henge near the Arctic Circle
• Feel the silent power of Asbyrgi Canyon in northern Vatnajokull National Park
• Relax in the hot spring waters of Myvatn Nature Baths Included:
• Airport/hotel transfers in Akureyri -2 nights in hotel in Akureyri, including breakfast -2 nights in hotel in Husavik, including breakfast
• Lunch (day 3) -3 day guided coach tour from day 2 until day 4
• Entrance fee to the Whale Museum of Husavik (day 2)
• Northern Lights Exploration Sailing Tour from Husavik, including late night hot soup and bread (day 2)
• Entrance fee and towel rental at Myvatn Nature Baths (day 4)
• International and domestic airfare
• Swimsuit at Myvatn Nature Baths (rentals available)
• Personal travel insurance (highly recommended)
• Beverages, snacks, lunches, dinners unless otherwise noted in itinerary
• Guaranteed early check-in or late check-out (check-in time is usually 2:00pm)
• Any service not specifically listed under "included"
• Accommodation List:
• Day 1:
• KEA Htel Akureyri
• Icelandair Hotel Akureyri
• Fosshotel Husavik
• KEA Htel Akureyri
• Icelandair Hotel Akureyri
We reserve the rights to change the hotels, without prior notice should the necessity arise, the alternative hotel will then be of the same standard.
Package inclusions are subject to change.